What do Stephen Ministers do?
After Stephen Ministers are trained, they will be assigned to a care receiver by the Stephen Ministry Leaders, based on the needs of the parish. Once they have a care receiver, this is what a Stephen Minister will do:
* Meet with their care receiver on a regular basis
* Provide support and encouragement for the care receiver
* Listen and accept using a Christ-centered model
* Assist the care receiver in processing thoughts and feelings
* Pray with and for the care receiver, keeping God in the forefront
* Maintain appropriate boundaries and confidentiality
* Participate in regular, confidential peer group supervision to ensure the highest quality of care
* Refer to a mental health professional or other care ministry when appropriate
Can you picture yourself helping someone in this way? A new training class for Stephen Ministers will be starting in January.o
If you have questions or would like more information,
313-937-1500, ext. 114.
Click here to learn more!